[geeks] Linux fun...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 07:44:40 CST 2002

Hello all,

I know many here are anti-x86, but I wanted to describe my recent
efforts to install a wireless 802.11b card in a (classic) laptop, a
Toshiba Tecra 8000...

Short version, It Just Worked. (tm)

Long version, with the laptop powered off, I inserted the card (Lucent
Silver), and booted. No new hardware detected, hrmph. Log in as root,
go to system settings, network, and voila! There is the card, inactive
under hardware.

So I add it to the interfaces, then activate it (set SSID, turn on
DHCP), and I am On The Air(1).

Total time - 5 minutes, *no* reading/prep work required.

RH Linux has come a long way from 5.x ;^)

Note: (1) I saw Peter Gabriel last night here in NJ (the Philadelphia
show is tonight) - had great seats, he had good opening acts (The
Blindboys from ALabama, and a coule Tanzanian folks), and the stage
show was, as always, amazing and suprising. One note, though - he only
played a few older songs (No Biko, no Shock The Monkey, etc.). Great
show, but I think he is getting a bit old (who isn't - the crowd was
nearly 80% over 35)...

Anyway, just an update on recent events here,

=====
Lionel

http://webhosting.yahoo.com