[geeks] Harman kardon

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sun Nov 17 07:27:25 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 dave at cca.org wrote:

> >> Isn't Harman/Kardon supposed to be a good brand?  I have a pair of their
> >> speakers on a Dell here at school, and they such.  They have virtually
>
> >AFAIC, the vast majority of everything they've ever made has been complete
> >garbage.
>
> Wasn't HK high-end in the 70s? (Not *audiophile* high-end, but
> the more-than-$500-per-component home market.)

I wasn't really around when these items were new, but I've used them more
recently, and I've had conversations with my father about this subject,
since he was shopping for a fairly high-end consumer setup in about 1976,
and from what he tells me, HK was no competition for Sansui or ADC.

Incidentally, HI, the parent company of HK makes a variety of lines
ranging from audiophile high-end (which I would buy in a heartbeat if I
had the money right now -- Mark Levinson) down to consumer (JBL).

Peace...  Sridhar