[geeks] Object Oriented Programming Books.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 14 17:57:22 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 06:26:31PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Open an old-style "MVC" project and welcome yourself to plain old
> Smalltalk-80.

So everything in a smalltalk 80 text should work?

> I would definitely _NOT_ recommend GNU Smalltalk.  It's pretty bare-bones
> and has none of the really necessary bits of the interactive development
> environment.  GNU Smalltalk is really only useful for dire GNU zealots
> who have a Smalltalk itch to scratch.  Anyone new to smalltalk and OO
> won't get very much done in GNU Smalltalk at all unless they're
> dedicated beyond all reasonable expectations.

First, I think your experience with GNU Smalltalk might be a bit dated.
In recent years it has gained a lot of stuff, like a graphical browser,
graphical inspector, graphical listener, etc (they look like Tk, but not
sure if they really are).  GNU smalltalk also comes with bindings from
GTK, support for XML, TCP, gdbm, etc. So, no, it doesn't have everything
and the kitchen sink, but it does have some things.  If it would just
add support for loading glade files, calling postgres, and calling
OpenGL (and for all I know, they exist but aren't bundled), I'd be
pretty happy.  It would be fine to substitute something else for glade.
I just went with saying that since GTK support is already there.

Moreover, it looks like it is easy to write additional bindings to other
loadable libraries, but I haven't had a chance to really play with
that.  It is high on my list of things to do, as soon as I get it to
work on irix.

--
Joshua D. Boyd