[geeks] Object Oriented Programming Books.

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Nov 14 15:29:46 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, November 13, 2002 at 18:20:44 (-0800), Geoff Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Object Oriented Programming Books.
>
> I am looking for recommendations on General / generic books on object
> oriented programming  OO programming methodology, etc...
>
> The college I'm going to switched us from VB6 to VB.Net for the client
> server programming, and although I have had experience testing Java apps so
> I have a loose handle on OO programming, I am REALLY lacking in the
> techniques :(
>
>   I figure if I can get a grasp on OO programming techniques I should be
> able to start switching from one language to another just by learning the
> specific syntax involved....

If that's what you want to do then you really need to learn some really
truly 100% object oriented language first -- i.e. smalltalk.  Download
Squeak (www.squeak.org) and get to work!  You can't help but learn OO
concepts if you use smalltalk because that's the only way to do things
in smalltalk.

Joshua posted a link to a place with online smalltalk books just the
other day, IIRC.  There are lots and lots of other good smalltalk books
still in print, and new ones coming out every few months too.

Ruby is a possible alternate, though it can too easily be used as a
plain procedural language.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>