[geeks] eek2, debian

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 13 22:47:28 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:47:55PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> Every time i've seen that it's been a failing drive.  If it were scsi,
> you could remap the sectors which would buy you some time.  But if i
> were you, i would consider that drive already dead.  Don't keep anything
> important on it.

I'm just finishing up copying the last of my files off.  It's mainly
used to hold software and scratch space.

Unfortunately, recently the scratch space has been holding a few gigs of
media files, so copying off is very very slow.

I'm more worried about the software.  I don't have the space to move it
to the other drive and I don't have and spare drives.  With some
reorganization and removal of excess software I should be able to make
it all fit on the other harddrive, but I can't use dpkg to remove any
software, and I don't have the time for a reinstall.  It seems like all
I can do is retry my SCA<->narrow adapters (two which I've yet to get
either working, but the only thing known good is the SCSI card.  The
adapters, cables, drives, and external bays are all unknowns, except
I've been unable so far to construct and working configs), or hope for
the best for the next 5 weeks until I have time to reload everything.
Darn it, darn it darn it.

> > Oh God, I feel sick.  As if I didn't have enough stress, this has to
> > happen now when I have no money and no time.
>
> You feel sick? good god man, it's only a failing drive.  Stress is a
> state of mind, just relax, worrying about it isn't gonna make the drive
> any better.  (granted that's how i handled my college classes, and i
> failed out, YMMV).  High blood pressure runs in my family, but i don't
> really have a problem, (mine is at the low end of the "normal" range) i
> wonder why....

Yeah, well, I'm not going to fail out, but I'm barely making it through
my classes, and if I don't pass all of them I don't graduate.  And this
computer is needed for these classes (well, two of them I can make do
with a low end spare, like maybe quickly bringing an LX up as a
workstation, but one of them requires this machine, or something
similary fast with a decent video card).

--
Joshua D. Boyd