[geeks] Weta

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:15:23 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:06:06PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
> Steven Hill wrote:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/2ign
> >
> >for those who don't like long urls.
> >
> >and 200Tb of data.
>
> Makes Rackspace (www.rackspace.com) look small.
> I have trouble even conceiving of using that much space.

It's not that hard for me to imagine using.  Imagine lots of video at
2k resolution (err, is that 2k across, or 2k vertically?), each major
element of a scene being a seperate layer, etc.  Plus all the scratch
work being saved to keep you from having to completely rerender for
every change.  It adds up real quick.

What is hard for me to imagine is the multi gig .rib files Pixar
supposedly uses.

> We'll be getting to the Star Trek data storage size limit soon.

What's that?

--
Joshua D. Boyd