[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 6 17:53:41 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> I might add in my O2 as well. But I will have to reinstall IRIX onto a
> larger drive (I have a 2GB drive and it is REALLY full). Acutally it is
> funny, right now my O2 only has 2x it's memory for HD space. I wonder if
> I could just DD from one drive to another (2GB to 9GB).

You can dd the slices, but not the whole disk.  Make your label in fx
(keeping the duplicated slices the same size as the original), dd the
slices, and mkfs the unused space.

I've never done it with a bootable disc, though, so I don't know what
you'd have to do about the volume header that holds the boot code and
sash.  If it's outside of the label, you could just dd it.  If not,
things might get tricky.  I really -should- know whether the label lives
there or not, but I'm having an embarrasing memory block right now.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.