[geeks] Misuse of Java

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 6 16:31:25 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 05:13:14PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> The studies I've looked at compared real-world examples.
>
> The canonical case study is detailed in "The Practice of Programming",
> Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike, 1999, ISBN 0--201-61586-x (page 81)
>
> (and for whoever first mentioned JIT (was that you?), well those timings
> were done with JIT....  "Next!")

I usually don't mention JIT.

Now, I don't have that book, so would you mind telling me, what
compilers did they use for Java?

> > But to say that stuff written in java reguardless of if it is running on
> > an interpretter, a JIT, or was compiled to raw machine code seems very
> > flawed to me.
>
> I don't know about java compiled to machine ("object" :-) code, but it
> seems JIT doesn't help worth a damn (or at least not enough).

Yes.  I don't know what all compilers can do it, but I do know that GCJ
(the GCC java compiler) can compile .java code to native code, and it
can compile .class files to native code.  Better performance is
generally gotten with java.java to native that java.class to native.
Also, I'm not sure how great GCJ is when trying to make traditional java
bytecode programs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd