[geeks] Misuse of Java

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Nov 6 16:17:45 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 at 21:30:58 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Misuse of Java
>
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:00:15PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 at 20:10:41 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> > >                                                      but none of those
> > > who rubbish perl have ever explained to me why perl sucks worse than any
> > > of the others.
> > Basically it boils down to the fact that Perl includes the grab bag of
> > all the "bad" language features that ever were, and it literally
> > directly encourages very bad programming practices.
>
> Rubbish.  Whilst perl *permits* bad programming practices (want to write
> BASIC in perl? you can) it doesn't encourage them*.

It certainly does.  As does APL.  It's very _hard_ to write good clean
readable and maintainable Perl code.  I know -- I've done it, and on
some rather largish programs too (~20,000 lines at the time, IIRC).

Although I only know Java at a theoretical level (and because of the
fact that it's just a re-invention of other concepts from other
languages that I do know well), I speak from experience when it comes to
Perl.  (though I do hate very much to admit it! ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>