[geeks] Misuse of Java

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 6 15:24:17 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:10:41PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:03:08PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > Perl however sucks.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Why does it suck?  Perl, not the people who use it.  What language should
> I use instead, and how would it benefit me?

> C sucks.  Java sucks.  Python sucks.  Ruby sucks.  Smalltalk sucks.  Lisp
> sucks.  Japanese sucks.  All languages suck in some ways, but none of those
> who rubbish perl have ever explained to me why perl sucks worse than any
> of the others.

True.

Now, I'm know that other languages have some of the things I complain
about perl for.  However, they usually offer something perl doesn't,
namely speed in C/C++.

Now, my complaints about perl start with all the built in things that
have side effects and different names.  I mean, come on:
while (<>)
      $_ ....

How is the sane person supposed to connect <> and $_ together?

Also, I find parameter passing between functions to be amazingly insane,
and I think too much stuff is built in that should instead be an easy to
use object of some sort.  Like Regexs, much of the posix stuff, etc.

--
Joshua D. Boyd