[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Nov 6 14:20:19 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 02:55 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> 1) NLE
>
>   Never heard of it.  Can you provide a readers' digest version?

Non Linear Editing.   Apple comes with a crippled version (iMovie) but
has a really sweet package available as an upgrade (Final Cut Pro).
FCP is a professional end product used for a lot of TV shows, movies,
etc.

>> 2) Render farming
>
>   On DESKTOPS?  Umm, no.

Those are exactly the sorts of machines that are used these days
(usually running *gasp* Linux or FreeBSD).

>> 3) NFS
>
>   If your files are really so big that you need that much bandwidth to
> move them in a reasonable amount of time, it's time to think about a
> SAN.

Gigabit ethernet is much cheaper and solves the problem nicely.  The
files I was pushing at the time were 2GB to 4GB in size.

>> 4) X11
>
>   Bullshit.  X is far from lightweight, but if you need more than
> 100Mbps for X traffic into your workstation, you're doing something
> horribly wrong.

Or horribly beefy.

>> 5) ftp within LAN
>
>   See response to point #3.

See my response to your response.

>   Yes, highly technical people like us can easily tax a 100Mbps
> link...or even a 55-60Mbps "100Mbps" ethernet.  But we are the
> minority.

The last shop I was in was full of EE's designing next gen DSP cores.
It got to the point where individual engineers were getting their own
E450's & E420's.  Did I mention they had a big spending problem?  I
don't want to get into this old thread again but moving to Linux
PeeCee's really drastically improved the performance of their lighter
work (that is, jobs that didn't consume >4GB RAM).

Chris Hedemark
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com