[geeks] Misuse of Java

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 6 10:28:55 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 11:10 AM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>>   Lots of companies maintain a "low end" product line.  Gearing up a
>> chip fab is *expensive*, and it pays to use as many chips of a given
>> type as you can.  Put simply (and this isn't meant to sound as snotty
>> as it's going to come out), if their UltraSPARC-II-based machines are
>> too slow for you, don't buy one.
>
> I am just saying for their price points, they really ought to be using
> newer hardware.  I won't even compare to PeeCee's this time.  Compare
> to Power Macs.  What does $2,000 get you in a new Apple?  vs. Sun?

   Do you have some crazy idea that they're selling into the same
markets or something?

> Gotta disagree on the E450.  I used to have a few in my farm and boy
> were they a disappointment.  Their primary job was running EDA tools
> (mostly Synopsys).

   Bad software notwithstanding.  But then I think you'd disagree with
anyone no matter what was said. ;)

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "So you're really not gonna bite on the
St. Petersburg, FL              transvestite bait?"    -Doc Shipley