[geeks] FDDI

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Tue Nov 5 18:24:42 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 06:52 PM, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>
>>> My understanding was that your ownly hope for non-solaris FDDI support
>>> on a Sun is to use a PCI sun and a Digital DEFPA card.
>>>
>> Damn. That makes the switch almost useless for me. I only plan to run
>> Solaris on two machines :-(
>

>   No it's not.  Just either run Solaris for now or get PCI machines.
> Ultra30s are super cheap these days.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I have a U30 already (running
Solaris9), so I can run it on that, but for the most part, I run Debian
or *BSD. I still haven't gotten used to Solaris yet. I might be able to
find some cards for my SGI's too. And if the better cards are DEFPA,
then I am sure they will work great in my Alpha. And my PC's.

>> Ahh. I see. I guess I should have read more about FDDI before I bid
>> on the switch.
>>
>> Anyone wanna buy a Cisco FDDI switch? ;-)
>

>   It's not a switch, it's a concentrator...more like a hub than a
> switch, although it doesn't come with the same "oh no, collisions!"
> stigma that a non-switching ethernet hub would have, since FDDI
> doesn't have collisions because it was well-designed in the first place.

I knew it wasn't a 'switch', but that was what came to mind.

>   Metcalf was WRONG.

>      -Dave

shawn