[geeks] FDDI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Nov 5 17:56:04 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 05:52:25PM -0600, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> >My understanding was that your ownly hope for non-solaris FDDI support
> >on a Sun is to use a PCI sun and a Digital DEFPA card.
> >

> Damn. That makes the switch almost useless for me. I only plan to run
> Solaris on two machines :-(
>
> Ahh. I see. I guess I should have read more about FDDI before I bid on
> the switch.
>
> Anyone wanna buy a Cisco FDDI switch? ;-)

You can't put your PC on FDDI?  You can't put one or more of your SGIs
on FDDI (the octane and O2 might be tricky, but the Indigo2s shouldn't
be too hard)?  You can't put any other PCI machines running free OSs on
FDDI?

You could always help contribute to the cause of getting an open SMT
implementation written, or to getting Cresendo drivers written.  I've
heard people offer to work on cresendo support if someone would send
them the cards, and cresendo support sounds realistic since they have
SMT in hardware.

--
Joshua D. Boyd