[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 30 14:33:48 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:07:27PM -0600, Dave Kimmel wrote:

> > And how does one interface a DAC chip, and a few buttons to an
> > ethernet card?  I'm assuming you are talking about an ISA card...
>
> With a PIC/68HC11/microcontroller of choice, of course.  I've found plenty
> of info on interfacing an 8051 to an MP3 decoder chip and an IDE hard
> drive.  The MP3 decoder talks to the DAC itself, so that's not too much of
> an issue.

Yeah, if I'm going to use ethernet, a microcontroller of some sort
would be needed.  I was hoping for a completely dumb appliance for
simplicity sake.  Also, I'm pretty set against not using an MP3 chip
since I don't have much in the way of MP3 files.  If I was using MP3,
it would be easy enough to stream over serial.  Instead, I want to
send an uncompressed audio stream out.

When you get into microcontrollers, those require tools to go with
them that make SBC solutions look nice for one off tasks.

--
Joshua D. Boyd