[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Thu May 30 10:53:23 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> With a little scripting, a linux machine (or presumably *BSD) would do every

Already can. I do it now with software I downloaded from freshmeat (just
look for rippers, there're plenty).

> Also, personally, I like flac.

I'll have to look at this. What advantages does flac have over mp3? I've
been saving as wavs for later burning custom cds. The sound so-o-o-o
nice compared to the mp3s. Maybe higher bitrate mp3s would sound ok. I
haven't tried Really high.

> Scripted CD ripping on CD insertion would be easy to pull off with an hour

Don't need it. See above. It's been done.

> There are various algorithms one could apply to finding the breaks between
> songs, but they are likely to be fouled up by long pauses in songs, or by

This has been done too. look for Tapekit on freshmeat. It's for tapes,
and no, it doesn't auto-name the tracks, it can't. But you can set the
sensitivity to pauses and noise levels. Most songs with pauses have a
low-level sounds that don't go away like they do with the pauses between
tracks. It'd probably work fine for vinyl as well.

---sambo