[geeks] LCD displays

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Wed May 29 12:40:49 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 03:09, Ryn wrote:
> I am looking to buy a 20/21" LCD display. Has anyone taken the dive
> and purchased one? Looking
> to spend a little bit of dough to ease the pain and suffering on my
> eyes ;) Anyone know of any
> good sites with reviews?

Not quite a 20/21, but I'm using a Sony M81 as my main display at home
which suits me *fine*. This has dual inputs ... an hd15 and a
switchable analogue/digital DVI. The main problem was the less than
well shielded video cable that came with the thing.

If you've never used an LCD before, there's a few points to bear in mind
:-

* The native resolution of the LCD is what you should be running the
  thing at. This may be too obvious to mention here :)

* The ones I've used don't seem to cope well with sync changes very well
  ... the M81 will give an 'Out of scan range' error when switching back
  to my I^2, although it'll cope when power-cycled. Also my 15" Samsung
  Syncmaster will refuse to sync to the display at certain points on my
  work PC when starting up Vmware in full screen mode.

* Now for the biggie: I tried to test a 17" Ilyama(sp?) as a replacement
  for the 19" Sun monitor on my U10 at work. Basically the damm thing
  refused to display anything from either the Creator3D or the on-board
  M64 (and yes I know about ffbconfig and m64config). Searching around,
  it seems I'm not the only one to have problems with LCDs on Sun's,
  although I haven't seen any explanation for this.

  Incidentally, the Syncmaster *did* work.

Samsung is no longer making the LCD that Sun sells, but the replacement
looks good although it lacks the 13W3 connector. Hopefully one will
turn up on my desk sometime soon, as the 19" is getting a little fuzzy
for my eyes to copy with.