[geeks] LCD displays

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 29 09:17:33 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:06:18AM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:
> oh, incidentally, i have a dell 17" crt, a radius 17" crt, a sun 19"
> crt, my laptop 15" lcd, and a dell 15" lcd on my desk. i really like the
> radius monitor the most.

At work, I only have the screen built into my Armada m700.  At home, I have
a pair of Dell 17" monitors, and a Gateway 15".  One of the Dells really
sucks.  It is the newer of the two (I believe I got it in 2000, and it was
brand new then), yet maxes out at 1024x768.  My Gateway 15" monitor can do
higher than that without inducing pain (useable at 1280x1024, but nicer at
1152x900).  Alas, it is fairly old (don't really know how old), and it is
dieing.

My other Dell monitor was bought from a bargain shelf at a computer show in
1998.  It supports 1600x1200 fairly well, but really shines at 1280x1024.  It
supports SOG.  Under Linux, I've been unable to make it work right at 800x600
or 640x480.  It wants to make a small box in the middle of the screen and
put the low resolution video there, rather than being full screen.

My goal is to get a nice SGI/Sun 21" monitor to replace the good Dell, then
use the good Dell to replace the Gateway, and send the gateway to be
recycled.  I had the money for a bit, but now I don't.  In a few months I
should be able to afford it again.

--
Joshua D. Boyd