[geeks] LCD displays

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed May 29 07:27:40 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:22:35PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Jeez.  I run 1280x1024 on a 21".
> > (or 1152x900, on the one at work.. no need to make myself need glasses
> >  sooner..)
> Why?  Can't you just use larger fonts, and have things look decent?  The
> resolution has to get pretty insanely high before I can't see the icons
> clearly enough to figure out what they do.  (yes, it's late, and I
> should be sleeping, not writing halfway cranky sounding emails)

For one thing, I have yet to find a font for a larger resolution that
looks similar enough to "fixed" (@1152x900) to make me switch.  If I could
find a font that looks similar (in aspect ratio and readability) to
fixed at 1152, to use @1280, I'd switch.

Suggestions?  I've been trying out stuff for *years*, and have yet to find
something I like better than "fixed" for xterms/rxvts.

On the PC with "putty", I used fixedsys 9, with a screen resolution of
1280x1024.

My "standard" desktop (it hasnt changed much in 2.5 years):
http://www.mrbill.net/screenshots/

(including a picture of this windows desktop taken about 5 minutes ago)

Find me a font that looks about the same relative size/aspect ratio
@ 1280x1024 as "fixed" @1152x900, and I'll switch resolutions.  I havent
been able to find one I like in the past five years.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net