[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Mon May 27 23:12:48 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 09:02 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I have one of those cards, but I think it is bad, since I couldn't get
> 3 different AV Macs (840av, 8100av, 7100av) to recognize it.  I have
> a few questions.  First, how do you convert the video to something that
> can be played back on machines without the card?  I know that premiere
> can
> do that, but I was hoping some free utility also could.

Did you install the software for it?  After that, you just use a
video-capture app. (I use fusion recorder) The output is a quicktime
movie.

> Also, how good is it?  At the lowest compression ratio (i.e., highest
> data
> rate), are there any visible artifacts?

Not too bad.

> I do have docs and compilers for it).  However, the programs that ship
> with
> it can do video capture, so maybe it would be possible to eek enough
> hard
> drive performance from an 840AV for uncompressed video?  I've never
> heard
> of it being done.  Seems this card is usually only used for low
> resolution
> work, low framerate scientific work, video output (character generater,
> CG overlays, etc), and broadcast work, with a seperate JPEG card (AKA,
> the
> Avid Janus Advanced JPEG card).  These cards are really expensive when
> gotten
> from reliable source, but are accasionally dirt cheap.

I dunno if the 840AV's internal scsi can keep up with uncompressed
video.  With the spigotAV, I gor 640x480 at 30fps (compressed), but I
couldn't watch it while capturing, just listen.  REsults are good, I was
able to then use quicktime pro on the G4 to edit  it and then toast to
make a VCD.

-Pete