[geeks] Running old F77 codes

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon May 27 11:10:30 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, May 24, 2002 at 09:45:25 (-0600), Robert Bourque wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Running old F77 codes
>
> I have a number of Fortran 77 engineering codes that I wrote decades
> ago for running on a Vax/VMS system.  I want to start editing and
> running them again with minimal hassle.  I have tried Compaq Fortran
> but find it unintelligible.

NetBSD, and I'm sure many other popular freely available operating
systems, come with GNU FORTRAN:

$ f77 --version
GNU Fortran 0.5.24-19981002
For more version information on components of the GNU Fortran
compilation system, especially useful when reporting bugs,
type the command `g77 --verbose'.

GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING
or type the command `info -f g77 Copying'.

The GNU Fortran Language
************************

   GNU Fortran supports a variety of extensions to, and dialects of,
the Fortran language.  Its primary base is the ANSI FORTRAN 77
standard, currently available on the network at
`http://www.fortran.com/fortran/F77_std/rjcnf0001.html' or as
monolithic text at
`http://www.fortran.com/fortran/F77_std/f77_std.html'.  It offers some
extensions that are popular among users of UNIX `f77' and `f2c'
compilers, some that are popular among users of other compilers (such
as Digital products), some that are popular among users of the newer
Fortran 90 standard, and some that are introduced by GNU Fortran.

--
								Greg A. Woods