[geeks] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9 released

Steve Wingate stevew at velosystems.net
Fri May 24 20:09:58 CDT 2002

> http://www.sun.com/solaris
>
> Unfortunately, no downloads for a few days.  However, you can order the
> "slim" media kit (just the OS, on both CD and DVD) for $50, and the "full"
> media kit (with bonus software) for $95.
>
> One thing a lot of people may not have noticed - the "Free Solaris"
program
> was formerly "free" for use on systems with less than 8 CPUs.  That has
been
> changed to only allow "free" use on systems with ONE CPU:
>
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/licensing.html
>
> There is nothing in place (that I know of) to enforce this licensing; they
> just want you to pay more if you have more than one CPU... However, in
some
> cases (older SS10/20 systems, etc) the value of the Solaris license will
> exceed the value of the system it will be running on.
>
> IMHO, this change will just result in a lot of people "illegally" running
> Solaris 9 on their systems, as it was before the "Free Solaris" licensing
> program came out.. and it will result in a lot of bad PR for Sun, who
> apparently dont think that people might have SMP systems at home.
>
> Thoughts?

Personally, I think they should have made it free for use on systems with
fewer than four processors. I run Solaris on an Ultra 5 at home and I have
been considering picking up a Dual U30 or U60. The new licensing puts a
damper on that plan already.
I can certainly see and understand their desire to decrease the number of
processors a free license supports, but I think the free license should
include all workstation type machines up to and including Ultra 60/80's.