[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri May 24 14:34:22 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:21:22PM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> >> I thought Google was all linux?
> >
> > Google is a subsidary of Yahoo. :) Very much all FreeBSD.
>
> Well that just stinks. If they are a minion of the evil that is Yahoo then I
> will have to change search engines. *sigh*

Don't believe everything you hear if believing it has unpleasant side
effects, like having to use an inferior site.

Note:
1) The Google history page[1], makes no mention of being bought by Yahoo!.
   It does mention that the google founders were encouraged to make a company
   out of their project.  Later it mentions that yahoo!, among others, is
   now using google for their sites search services.

2) For funding[2], the list Kleiner Perkins and Sequoia Capital, as well as
   Stanford, Andy Bechtolsheim, and Ram Shriram, but say nothing about
   Yahoo!. It is interesting to note that they have a neurosurgeon on staff.

3) Under culture[3] it says, "Most Googlers have high powered Linux OS
   workstations on their desktops."   This indicates that they aren't ALL
   freebsd.

4) Netcraft indicates they are using linux[4].

5) Finally, I just can't find any place[5-8] that claims that Yahoo owns
   google, although based on point 1, it isn't surprising that yahoo has a
   small stake in google.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1] http://www.google.com/corporate/timeline.html