[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri May 24 12:14:44 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:29:46AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> That (intentional skewing) is what I find to be normal in real life.
> Whenever statics are mentioned, it seems to me, that the person
> presenting (or paying for) the statistical analysis has a vested
> interest in the end result.  That's why I usually ignore them...

What's usually happening "in real life" is that they're not skewing the
statistics, but that they're skewing the question that's being asked.
The science of statistics is in crunching the numbers.  The art - which
is more interesting to me - is in picking a valid question to ask.

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
                                            -- Cartoon Law X