[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri May 24 08:40:31 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:30:43AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> IMO, two people out of millions doesn't make a valid statistical
> sampling.  While Linux has it's shortcomings, I think most of the

Technically, two people out of millions is a valid statistic.  Of course,
the confidence interval is going to be a mile wide.  And you will pretty
much always have to reject the hypothesis for hypothesis testing, but
it is a valid sample.

But more to the point, you are skewing the results by automatically chucking
out the messages on the list from people who said it works fine.  If you
went back through the archive, I think you would find a sample size closer
to 10, which is closer to usefull, but 30 people would be nicer.

> I also just demonstrated that even otherwise fine OSs can have the same
> issues when I built Minicom.  The dependencies are what will kill you,

I think minicom is a flaming pile of dung, even if it is the best windows
style terminal emulator available.

--
Joshua D. Boyd