[geeks] FS: Cisco CSS 11000

Craig Leikis cleikis at superpages.com
Thu May 23 06:56:44 CDT 2002

> Craig Leikis wrote:
> >
> > We have a couple of 11150's and they'll do everything for you,
> > including cook you breakfast... :)
>
> What's so special about those boxes? Some kind of firewalling?
> Switching? Routing?

Yes, all of that.

Out of the box, it's a switch. They were really designed as a layer 4-7
load-balancer. You can load-balancing based on url, cookies, or content
type.  It can do "hot" content replication or it's designed to work with
a caching Engine or as a reverse-proxy.

You can setup a server farm with private IP addresses, setup rules for
which servers do which function and users only access the servers through
the virtual IPs you setup. On the back-end, it does NAT and hides the real
addresses of the servers.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/11150.htm#CJADFBCF

Craig