[geeks] Ebay. Aaaagh!

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue May 21 15:30:17 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:50:30PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> A seller is demanding that I call their long distance phone number during
> business hours to complete the sale.  I'm not getting a great deal anyway.
> I haven't decided whether to just give and buy a phone card for the job
> (since I can't make long distance calls at work, and I'm always working
> during their business hours), or whether to give up and post bad feedback
> (which will probably also get me some bad feedback).
>
> They didn't say anything about having to call them in the auction. Perhaps
point that out to them.  repeatedly if nessesary.  tell them you will call a
toll-free number, or a local number, but not a long distance number.

what they are doing is bullshit.  don't stand for it.  and don't let them off
easy either.

> I should start making a point of asking people about whether I will be
> required to call them long distance before bidding on cheap, small items,
> such as this one (a VRM).

no you shouldn't, if it's not posted somewhere in the auction page that you
are required to do it for the completion of the sale, then you aren't required
to do it for the completion of the sale.  you need to be strict with these
losers.  but only cause it's illegal to hunt them down and kill them.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"