[geeks] in need of XP assistance

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue May 21 15:27:32 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:20:18PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > > do that, the 98 machine will never be able to view files on XP, as there's
> > > no such thing as an anonymous share on NT/2k/XP.
> >
> > Enabling the account "Guest" on the local machine will change that under NT4
> > & 2k.
>
> Really?  Wow!  I'll have to try that.  That's the biggest gripe I hear
> from friends of mine who are trying to convert their home networks from 98
> to NT/Win2k incrementally.  Thanks!

i didn't have to do any of that.  i was able to share just fine between XP and
98 after some poking around (the machine i was sharing from was NOT a healthy
install, although i have no idea what went wrong)

all i did was go into the services, turn on Server and i could share the disk,
and the win98 machine could see it.

then i installed XP on the other machine, and then they couldn't see each other
again, and many reboots and some poking around later i managed to get it to
work.  now all the files are on the second computer which is quite healthy, and
i've been giving thought to re-installing the first one.

here's what happened.  never having installed XP before without the guidance of
a "Windows Expert" (exchange admin) i was not completely sure what i was doing.
however, XP is pretty straight forward to install, so i didn't figure it would
be that hard.

so i installed.  formatted the disk NTFS, which complained that it couldn't
verify the making of the FS since i didn't have enough memory (128MB RAM) and
then went on in to the install.

i never got the setting up your computer wizard after it was all done (the one
where you can create the list of users and so-on) and i never got the Tellitubby
interface, got straight old classic interface right from the start.  IE and OE
don't work, it's missing stuff (like the icons for the users when you go to
the user admin thing, and the wallpapers are all missing)

i installed the second machine in the same exact manner as the first, and yet
the second machine installed everything and works just fine.

something is *seriously* screwed up with that machine, but i don't have a clue
what.  i don't want to just go ahead and re-install, since that doesn't really
guarantee that i'll get a perfectly working system.

also, after a reboot, the network adapter wouldn't get its IP from DHCP, so i
tried to manually set it, but that wouldn't work either.  i had to Disable it
and Enable it, and then it just started magically working.

this machine is not happy, and i really want to get it fixed.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"