[geeks] Good bye music cd protection!

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue May 21 08:52:40 CDT 2002

> Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's
> elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech
> method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

I was talking about this with Karin last night.  Her answer is - "What
do you mean encrypted?  It still plays in a CD player.  If I can read
it, I can make a copy!"

Her solution is to output from the stereo, into the computer, and into
whatever format you want.  Turn off all the equalizers and junk so that
you get straight recording sound (I hate it when people rip CDs with
Winamp and they leave the equalizer on).

MP3s are decidedly *not* for people who care greatly for sound quality,
judging by the crap MP3s I've heard.  That said, I'm sure that I could
bypass damn near any music copy protection scheme using simple equipment
and create a very high quality recording.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com