[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon May 20 21:23:27 CDT 2002

> > If I had my druthers, Solaris/Sparc would be my choice for servers, it's
> > a tossup for workstations (Solaris/Sparc, Linux, Mac OS X), firewalls
>
> Gah!  How can you even contemplate Solaris/SPARC for a workstation over
> OSX or Irix on Iris hardware?!?  I've used a lot of SPARCs as desktop
> machines, and it's torturous.  Even my Ultra-1 170/Creator is hard to
> stand compared with my Indy with 24-bit option.

That's strictly for a work environment, in which I would be in a support
or management role.  Also, Star Office (or Open Office) won't run on
Irix (yet).  In most workplaces, Irix won't float since there's no
office suite for it.  Sad but true.  *MY* workstation at the house is a
SGI.  Always.  Not going back.  Even my U1-170E pales next to this
Octane, and the O2 is pretty fucking nice - better than the Indy by a
mile.  The Indigo is nice also, suprisingly useful for a 33Mhz machine
:)

Karin's 800Mhz Dell laptop is currently running a demo of Medal of honor
so that I can see if I want to buy it in a box.  That's about what I use
it for too :)
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com