[geeks] in need of XP assistance

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon May 20 21:15:29 CDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> my brother's DSL finally got hooked up, and while i was here i
> installed XP on his machine for him (his room-mate's is next)

Condolences.  Would you have any luck in convincing them to roll back to
Win2k?

> i put him in the same workgroup as he was in before, but his computer
> cannot see the win98 machine,

See later in this message for how to install network crap.  You want
"Client for Microsoft Networks".

Also, you need to make sure that a user exists on the XP machine with the
same name as whatever he's logging onto the 98 machine as.  If you don't
do that, the 98 machine will never be able to view files on XP, as there's
no such thing as an anonymous share on NT/2k/XP.

> and why i try to share files it says that the service is not running,
> and i'll be damned if i can find out how to bring up the services
> list.

That's because there isn't one anymore.  At least, not strictly.  There
is, but that's not where you'd go to do that anymore--unless you manually
turned it off from there.  If you're interested, right-click on "My
Computer" and click "Manage".

Right-click on the "network neighborhood" icon.  Click Properties.
Right-Click "Local Area Connetion".  Click Properties.  Click "Install".
Select "Service".  Click "Add".  The service you want is called "File and
Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".

> also, i can't seem to locate IE or OE on this fucking thing.

That's because IE is integrated into everything (it's now rolled into
Windows Explorer), and OE is called "Email".

You can open any folder and type a URL in the address bar to use your
browser--just like in KDE! ;)

--Jonathan
  (recovering "Windows guru")