[geeks] Hacked classic to end all

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon May 20 17:50:51 CDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Most of us have probably heard of upgrading Mac Color Classics to be power
> macs.  But this particular one especially rocks.  The mod looks cleaner,
> packs more CPU power, and add more expandability that any of the others I've
> seen.  This is very tempting.  I wish Apple would have done something like
> this instead of producing the iFruit.

They did--the G3 all-in-one.  It was quite fugly, but it was a not-
too-small (15") screen with a Mac G3 below it, integrated into a chassis
that could only be described as a "bloated classic".  But, hey, it had PCI
slots!

Here's the obligatory Low End Mac link:
   http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3aio.shtml

IIRC, Apple didn't sell it to the general public, only through the
educational channel.

--Jonathan