[geeks] Ms., Mrs., or other?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon May 20 16:12:03 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 05:04:56PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> When writing a letter to a woman, whose marital status you are not familiar
> with, are you supposed to default to:
> Ms. Woman
> Mrs. Woman

Further poking around revealed that historically Mrs. is supposed to mean
the wife of.  From that view it would be either something like Ms. Amy
Bradford or Mrs. Bill Bradford but not Mrs. Amy Bradford.  Obviously people
don't stick to that too much these days, but I think I'm probably safe
defaulting to Ms. when marital status isn't known in business correspondance.

--
Joshua D. Boyd