SBus FDDI / SPARC *BSD SMP (was: Re: [geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: m y capitalization.. etc.))

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon May 20 09:28:21 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:16:06PM +0200, jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> BTW: How much throughput do you get from that NPI card and what SPARC
> does it live in? I got only 2.7MB/s when I did a quick test and the CPU
> (SS5, 110MHz, Solaris 2.6) usage was 100%. It seams that this card is
> quite suboptimal designed. (Compared to a DEC DEF[TEP]A)

ok, just a real quick and dirty test:

84637700 bytes received in 43 seconds (1908.53 Kbytes/s)

transfering from a dual SM71 sparc20 to an ultra1/170.  both have NPI FDDI
cards in them.  there is a constant 100K/sec+ going through the ultra1 at
the moment (filewall) but i doubt that has too much impact.

that could be a LOT faster i think.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"