[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon May 20 02:18:08 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:20:11PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> i never had a solid well documented kernel when i was running linux. i
> ran it for a few years, but the mysterious reboots in the middle of the
> night, huge kernels (>6mb once!), poor support for my platform (mac
> ppc)

I have never experienced any of those.  At least not since the crashes I
got with the pre-1.0 kernels.  And if your kernels are that big, YOU are
doing something wrong.  Here, have a kernel module.

And I find it odd that here you whine because your chosen platform is
poorly supported (it's true that driver support for Mac PPC is not good)
and yet praise *BSD for exactly the same reason!

>     inane user community (try #linux on dalnet some day when you need
> help)

Try #anything on almost any network.  What's your point?

My experience of the Linux user community is different.  But then, I don't
use any of the large IRC networks.

>       and being scorned by my unix using peers convinced me it was just
> not for me.

Are you that insecure that you give a shit what they think?

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some investigative
  work which unfortunately involved a bucket of puppies and a belt sander
    -- after JoeB, in the Monastery