[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sun May 19 20:24:02 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 02:49:56PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I don't want to go off on a rant here, but...

too late?  ;)

i agree with most of what you say, however....

> Since the subject was broached, the various BSD flavors really seem to
> rely on this mentality to weed out the general populace.  If you're not
> willing to drudge through highly technical, and somewhat obfuscate,
> documentation, you need not attempt *BSD.  At least that's how they come
> off to a lot of folks, not just me, other hardcore geeks are put off by
> that attitude.  Some of these are so arrogant they make Saddam Hussein
> look like a fawning yes-man...

not at all.  if someone were to put themselves to the task of writing a HOWTO
for any of the BSDs, we would all gladly answer questions and help out in
getting it written, but i think i speak the same attitude of most in the BSD
community when i say that i'll be damned if i'm the one who's going to do it.

and really, over the years, i've gotten more help, with a much nicer tone from
any of the NetBSD port- lists than any of the linux lists i've ever asked
questions on.  and i don't really classify myself as a drooling moron either
to elicit such s response.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"