[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

David Richmond cric at webone.com.au
Sun May 19 11:29:21 CDT 2002

> its a crude (but i think effective) test to do something like this:
>
> cd /usr/src
> grep -d recurse fuck * | wc -l
>
> or use whatever term of anger you choose. last i checked i had 1800 hits
> on the linux source tree and <200 on the openbsd tree. generally such
> comments are inserted when something isnt working. just read through
> them and see what you find. i prefer working in the bsd tree.

Hate to be bursting your bubble on this one but:
$ grep -ri fuck /usr/src/linux/* | wc -l
	42
$ uname -r
2.4.19pre2

So, maybe you're including a complete tree of everything gnu in there (in
which case I can't check due to lack of space on any hdd's), it's definately
a *LOT* less that 1800.

David Richmond