[geeks] Re: Cop Cars

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 17 20:22:22 CDT 2002

> oops. well i see it this way. its a mailing list. im generally not
> offended by anything people say on a mailing list and i more or less
> consider it to be conversation. i mean we are carrying on here in almost
> realtime. if you said to me "i believe a crown vic can do 181mph" and i
> doubled over laughing, you wouldnt feel "confronted." im really just not

Not confronted - insulted that, without further information, you
immediately discounted my statement in such an abrasive manner.  Not
that I believe a Crown Vic would do 180+ without modification, but I
don't see a reason go all woodsy on the guy.  He did mention that mods
were done, after all.

I also believe that Brian heard a sound that he thoguht migh be a
'charger under the hood of that cruiser.  I don't see why there *can't*
be one.  I don't think there is one, but again, I'm not going to dismiss
it with an abraisive remark.  It is possible that the sound was made by
an open-element air filter.  My truck has a 16" open-element air filter
with a K&N filter - and damned if it don't sound like a 'charger.
Whistleing away until I hammer the go-pedal, then it adds a nice low
snort - it's a hell of a sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, lighten up.  Instead of "bs", try "it
might have been a power steering pump going bad, or maybe an
open-element air filter - they whistle like a 'charger due to the fact
that the air starts to swirl and vortex inside the intake and manifold,
and you could have been hearing the cavitation created by that because
of the unobstructed air flow.  Modern intakes and fresh air tubing can
hide those noises and they only come out to play when you open them up".
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com