[geeks] Re: Need an opinion

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Fri May 17 19:32:09 CDT 2002

Alex:

Remember, modern engines are computer controlled. Sure, the basic Police
engine might be the same block as the civilian one, but it's programmed
differently. And there are lots of other systems on the car that are
beefed up. Have YOU ever driven a police car? Well I have. I've driven
Ford Crown Vics, Chevy Caprices, and of course my favorite, the Dodge
Diplomat, and they ALL blow away their civilian versions. While I had
several Dodge Diplomats I also bought a Chrysler New Yorker (same body
style as Dip) figuring it'd be about the same vehicle. Wow was I wrong,
the suspension was totally different (way to soft for my likes), geared
totally different too. While on the topic of gearing, there are (or were
in the case of Dodge) 2 different 'police' gearings you could get, the
Interceptor, and the Pursuit. Most of the Dips I had were Interceptors,
they could get going real quick, but topped out around 130 or so. One
car I had was a pursuit model, and WOW, it took a while to get to speed
(you could wind it out to 70 in first gear!) but it could cruise at 160
all day long without a hitch. When I first bought that car the PD I got
it from had somehow forgotten to paint over their markings, and for the
heck of it I took a trip to Orlando (from Fort Lauderdale) for lunch :)
Cruised right by State Troopers, and they just waved to me :) But once I
got back from Orlando (with a freshly installed taximeter) it got
painted to the cab co specs, and I only drove it once more after that,
it didn't last (taxi vs garbage truck, but that's another story). Oh,
and another thing, most car dealers don't have a clue about police
package vehicles, you need to talk to a Fleet dealer.

-Mike

--
            +------------------------------+          (/**\)
            | I'm outstanding in my field! |\        ((o  o))___
PGP fingerprint: D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74
Email: schiller at nospam.agrijag.com          http://www.agrijag.com
Voice: 304-334-3951                          FAX: 304-334-3644