[geeks] Boston Driving was RE: Working in Waltham

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri May 17 06:36:42 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Chris Byrne [mailto:chris at chrisbyrne.com]

~ These are the people that invented the concept of owning a beater
~ that you only drove in the city or in the winter because you just dont
give
~ a shit. These are the people who actually codified then published a game
~ predicated on the points system of bad driving where Hitting a Nun
escorting
~ Schoolchildren automatically won you the game(yes it was the first. It was
~ orignally released in the 60's. )

Hahaha! I've been drivin in/around beantown most of my life.

One time I was in the traffic circle by MGH where the river routes and
everything else dump into trying to get onto Rt.93 (sorry, names escape me,
Charles Circle?). I was in the line of 10 lanes merging into two when a
rusty crapped out beater van decided he wasn't going to let me merge and he
swerved and ripped all the chrome off my dented (not rusted) Buick Estate
Wagon (Field Service Engineer Special). I was pissed and swerved into his
side doors under heavy throttle and pushed them in hard enough that it
looked like one window was going to fall out of its rubber track before he
got home (doors were already dented too). I figured once we got on 93N we
would pull over and work out the papertrail. On the highway I came alongside
and honked to pull over. He waved and shrugged his shoulders. I waved and
went on my way. The way Mass insurance worked it was better for both of use
to just paint the scrapes and forget about it.

The good news is that while this was happening everyone else gave us all the
room we needed!