[geeks] Boston Driving was RE: Working in Waltham

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu May 16 23:49:57 CDT 2002

Ahh yes, the big dig. By many estimates the largess I mean Largest single
construction project carried out by modern man (I'm not kidding this is a
genuine claim from a recent documentary). Certainly one of the most
expensive.

Basically they are taking 20 miles of elevated freeway and moving it UNDER
the city of Boston, while leaving the original intact, then after they open
the new tunnels they dimantle the old feeway and make a 7 mile long park
plus a bunch of new buildings. It was originally supposed to be complete in
1998, then 2002, then 2006, now who knows. Total time since the beginning of
the project: 26 years. Total spent: 26 billion dollars. No Im not kidding.
26 billion dollars. These are from the GAO. THey did a report on the mess
that is the dig a few years back when it was found the project manager had
used seomthing like 15 million in funds for personal purposes, used
construction materials for his house, hired dead people for 20 years etc...

Chris Byrne