'underground' music (was: Re: [geeks] photogeeks?)

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu May 16 22:33:38 CDT 2002

avriettea at speakeasy.net writes:

>> These guys have great style - photos, art, performance, everything:
>> (They're actually one of the few bands in the underground that I'm
>> stunned aren't a big national act.)

>that they seem to have. do you have audio of them anywhere? i cant find
>clips or anything on the website, nor a concrete definition of what they
>play. they seem to have a vibe similar to The New Deal:

I've got one MP3 on the current rough draft of the tour site I'm
working on, which is going up this weekend:

http://www.cca.org/tour/bands.html

>I recently went to go see them with herbie hancock. they have this
>delicious flavor which theyve been describing as "breakbeat house"...
>but it really isnt. you have to see them live to understand their
>particular bent. they play a real jazzy set despite their techno
>polished studio album.

There's been a lot of really good music recently that combines
genres you wouldn't expect to work together. I've been seeing a
lot of jazz influences show up in post-punk bands. It's a good
thing. Every genre, and every period has something to offer.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----