[geeks] fiber cables

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 16 22:16:59 CDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I just rescued a 30' or so orange fiberoptic cable from the trash can here
> at work.. Has SC connectors on one end, and the other was cut off.. Is it
> worth it to try to splice another on the other end myself, or just give up
> and buy pre-made cables?

>From what I've heard, it has to be done Right, otherwise the cable is
worthless.  If you want it salvaged, I know someone who can do it, and has
the Lucent certifications and tools to certify the splice.  Contact me
off-list, if you're interested.  If nothing else, contact me if you're
going to toss the cable out, he'll probably be able to make patch-cables
out of it.

--Jonathan