[geeks] BGP on a Cisco Router

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu May 16 15:01:06 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 03:03:34PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:

> I always thought that HSRP was more of a LAN-Oriented protocol.  Hang two redundant routers off a switch mesh...they talk to each other (one in standby, one in active), and if the standby can't talk to the active, it starts MAC spoofing for the active.

Approximately, yes.  However, if the other side of the routers is actually
a WAN, with both routers having their connection terminating at the same
point, you can use them as a poor man's redundant WAN connection.  The way
I've done it is to have an E1 for the active router, and, when either that
line or that router fails, it switches over to the standby, which uses ISDN.
That way, I don't have to pay for two lines even though I only use one at
any one time.

Sure, when it fails, things get horribly slow, but it's a wonderful way of
tracking down all the Napster-kiddies on the network :-)  The router using
ISDN would only allow a small number of protocols through - usually just
SMTP and ssh, so when you're sshing in to fix stuff, you don't have to
compete for bandwidth with the gamers and pornsters.

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

May your blessings always outweigh your blotches!
    -- Dianne van Dulken,
       in alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove