[geeks] BGP on a Cisco Router

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu May 16 11:58:35 CDT 2002

Gary Nichols wrote:

> *BINGO* - this is exactly what I did at $previous_job.  The 2501 procs
> were a little busy, but handled the load.  It was a cheap load balancing
> solution at the time (1998).
>
>  On Thu, 16 May 2002, Fogg, James wrote:
>
> > The bare minimum is a 3640, and thats pushing it. You *could* use your 2500
> > IF you have your ISP provide route summarization and use a private AS number
> > if your goals are to only 1) "own" an assigned transportable IP space and 2)
> > multihome your internet connections/load balance.

This is essentially what we're trying to do - nothing wierd or
incredibly complex.  All we want is to re-route stuff if/when one T1
goes down.  Unfortunately we can't really afford anything more expensive
at this point.  Soon, perhaps, but now we have to do with what we
have...

Thanks to all for the help, info, and pointers - I'll muddle through
with these 2501s until something better can be done.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."