[geeks] an idea (gig-ethernet)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue May 14 00:54:41 CDT 2002

I just had an idea, a twist on the thin-client + no moving parts theory..

What would it cost me to build a PC (including special motherboard) that
could netboot over gigabit ethernet and a host motherboard for the machine
at the other side, connected by a fiber loop? I need particulars about the
fiber line (one or two, can I do my own, etc.) and the cards, etc.

I'm looking a building a little (for relative terms of little) netboot PC
that is small, fast, and diskless -- an X-terminal on uber-steriods.
gig-e, at 125MB/s, should be fast enough so that I don't need a hard
drive, and can *maybe* support fancy graphics (to a certain limit).

Rip it to shreds, guys. :)