[geeks] Moving users from one domain to another...

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon May 13 20:00:19 CDT 2002

Actually, this isn't too bad with one user machines running win2K.  As local admin you just copy the users profile over the default profile. In 'my computer>properties>user profiles you select the porfile to keep click copy, and copy to "C:\documents and settings\Default User" but MAKE SURE you change permissions with the button on the Copy To box to "everyone".  Then the machine is migrated to the new domain, and when the person logs in the first time it will create a new profile just like the old one.  (theoretically)  We did lots of this stuff at my last job, migrating users from NT4 to 2000 was harder than moving 2000 machines/users between domains.  Just for sanity's sake you may want to copy the original Default User profile to somewhere else so you can put it back after they migrated.  The NT to Win2K thing we did with the altiris rapideploy products.  We would sit down at the NT machine with a bootable network CD, boot the machine, push all kinds of stuff up to a ser!
ver, blow the win2K image on the CD on the machine, Suck all the stuff back down, in fact the product made an executable migration file, so you made the maigration file, took the machine to Win2K, ran the migration file over the network, and you were done.  The migration tool is very tunable, it will actually move whole applications if you want it to.  It is very product aware, and goes through the registry and strips out settings for the applications you are moving, And it is very windows aware, it knows what it can do between windows versions and what it can't.  But be warned, we ran a test team of 15 people, and did testing for several months to tweak the migration template.  Then we moved about 1400 users in blocks of up to 300 a weekend.  Very little fall out considering the complexity of the task.  One other thing, if you are used to creating machine accounts in the domain from the machine as you add it in NT, don't do that in Win2K if you have a multiple domain server!
 setup, you end up with duplicate accounts and other miracles because of propagation time.

Tim