[geeks] isdn gateways

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 11 22:48:44 CDT 2002

I've been thinking lately about getting one of the early 90's UNIX boxes
with built in ISDN to play with as my ISDN gateway. Right now I'm using a PC
running a dedicated firewall version of Linux feeing an external hays ISDN
ta, and it works fine but I really like the appeal of the all in one UNIX
boxes.

Anyway I figure there are two basic options here. An SS10 or an Indy.

I've got a bit of nostalgia for the Indy because it was the first dedicated
UNIX hardware I ever owned (I bought one from my college when they upgraded)
But I don't really want to run IRIX as my firewall and dialup server. I
don't think there's any other options though. As far as I can tell as of
November of last year netBSD will run on an Indy, but not any Linux, and I
don't think that netBSD supports the built-in ISDN.

I also don't know if the ISDN port on the SS10 is supported in anything
other than SunOS or Solaris.

Does anyone have experience using the ISDN functionality of either of these
systems? Can they be used with Other Os's?

Chris Byrne