[geeks] SGI values

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 11 22:26:55 CDT 2002

A friend of mine was asking me about various video and 3d workstation
options, and I was trying to convince him of the value of used SGI's. He
wants to do 3d work with texturing plus some compressed video work.

Anyway I got the point across that they are extremely capable machines, and
it came down to the costs for the configurations, so I'm wondering about the
fair market values of the following machines:

This was the system I was thinking about for him for all around use if he
wants to do some texturing and video but is mainly concerned with 3d
geometry performance

Indigo 2
r10k/195
MaxIMPACT +impcom
512mb ram
2 x 4 or 9 gig drives
cdrom

This is the system if he wants to concentrate on video more or do more
texturing

O2
r10k/250 (I havent seen any r12ks in the used market yet but an r12k/300
would be great)
1 gig ram
AV module
1x9 gig drive

Im thinking that the Octane is too expensive, and the video options for it
are WAY too expensive. He'd need to get an MXI or MXE and those are still at
least 2-3k plus the cost of the vidcap card.

Chris Byrne