[geeks] Interactive serial terminal programs

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sat May 11 18:42:16 CDT 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 05:40:06PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > May be "retro", but I'm amazed at how many places still use systems
> > like this...Especially medical centers, where they can't really deal
> > with the downtime necessary to do a migration to a new system.
>
> I never said retro was a bad thing.  In terms of a project like this,
> there's no need for anything other than a serial terminal.  Plus, they
> sell for cheap these days.
>
> > They'll be replacing them with Windoze machines over my dead body.  Why
> > pay $300-$00 for a windoze machine when you can get a terminal for $50.

screw retro, terminals offer something Windows can't.  barring hardware failure,
100% stability.  and if the hardware does does fail, there is no setup, you
just swap in a new terminal.  fast repair.  hell, even a mac or a nice unix
workstation can't offer that.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"